Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The Eleventh Hour Review

First of all I'm not here to cry out that "Matt Smith is the Doctor!" as several UK sources are screaming into the sky. I was impressed and he did far better than I had imagined. I will say this, Steven Moffat is the writer. I am a long time fan of Moffat's work, his Doctor Who episodes in the first four seasons are all in my top ten and his nineties spoof, Doctor Who and the Curse of the Fatal Death was hilarious. Ashley recently introduced me to his show Coupling and it was also fantastic and very funny.

When he was announced to take over for Russell T. Davies as head writer, I was ecstatic. I can't think of anyone better than him. Of course, at the time of that announcement, Tennant was still going to be the Doctor. When he announced his departure, I became very worried. But then I remembered, Moffat controlled his destiny. I became a bit more at ease.

So here we are in a whole new Doctor's world. New TARDIS, new companion, new screwdriver, new production team and new Doctor. That is a whole lot of new to get used to at once. This first episode was crucial and if I were in Steven's position, I would've crumbled. The point is, he had the monumental task of taking all of these Doctor Who fans who believe David Tennant was the greatest Doctor since Tom Baker, and making them believe that Matt Smith wasn't horrible. A hard task considering most came in to this series hating Smith because of the fact that he wasn't David Tennant. Moffat had one episode to convince everyone that it would be alright. One episode to convince the masses that the Doctor was still alive and kicking. In that respect, I believe he has done his job.

This isn't so much a review as it is a vote of confidence in this new crew. I miss David, I think we'll all miss him, but this new show is still the same old fun and adventure we expect. I believe Matt Smith is full of potential and I quite like his take on the Doctor. That and I love the new TARDIS. It's a strange mix of old series and new series with a lot of steampunk splashed on for good measure. Kudos to the people who designed that set, I've already gotten used to and fallen in love with it.

All that praise being said, please get the intro music fixed for next season.

No comments:

Post a Comment